How to Get Dyslexia Accommodations in School – Dyslexia Connect

How can a a dyslexic student get dyslexia accommodations in school? This is a question that many parents of dyslexic students ask themselves at some point. To get dyslexia accommodations for a student in school, you typically need to have your child evaluated for learning disabilities by the school. Before I discuss how to do that, it is important to note that if your child does have dyslexia (or may have it), you should investigate dyslexia tutoring options. A dyslexia tutor who is trained in Orton-Gillingham will be able to give a dyslexic student the specialized dyslexia treatment and training that they need to be able to improve their reading, spelling and reading comprehension. Dyslexia tutoring can also give the student the one-on-one instruction that is so vital to helping a dyslexic improve in those areas.

If you know your child is dyslexic or suspect that they may be dyslexic, a great place to start in this process is by researching dyslexia. If you know that your child is dyslexic, this research will give you the knowledge that will help you advocate for your dyslexic child at school. If you are unsure whether your child has dyslexia, this research will give you a better understanding of dyslexia, and may help you become certain of whether they are dyslexic.

To get dyslexia accommodations at school, you need to have your child evaluated by the school. To start the evaluation process, you need to ask the school to have your child evaluated for learning disabilities. You may run into certain difficulties during this process. For example, you may be told that your school does not acknowledge dyslexia, or that dyslexia is not a real diagnosis. In this case, you will need to seek out an official dyslexia evaluation by a doctor or psychiatrist. Try contacting dyslexia organizations such as the International Dyslexia Association, or other local dyslexia organizations for information on certified providers who can do perform evaluations. Additionally, if the school evaluation comes back and informs you that your child does not have any learning difficulties, you may need to get an official evaluation as evidence, before resuming the process.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top

Join Facebook Parent Support Group